Friday, May 7, 2004

Kenna's Aplastic Anemia Journey - 05.07.2004

Date05/07/04 - Hospital
WBC

2.0

RBC3.37
HGB10.4
PLT125
SEG1
BAND0
ANC20


Friday 5/7/04


A lot of walking the halls today, Mom, not Kenna, and at 35 pounds she's an armful. Especially when you have to use one arm to push the IV. The nurses rigged a way to attach the little pump to the IV pole, so it's not quite so complicated. Kenna agreed to let me carry her one session, and to riding in the stroller for one of the others, and she even walked one herself. That's the best.

The surgeon came to check her dressing and constructed a creative smaller one around the drain tube. Last night the nurses did their best to repair the damage since Kenna managed to pick off the entire bandage --from her back-- while the exhausted Momma was fast asleep!! Remember this is our
inquisitive nightwalker who gets into everything.

I was there when the doctor came in and still I don't quite understand the findings except that they were happy with the biopsy report which showed normal thymus tissue, but just not where and the size that should have been expected. I guess I need visuals. The ANC was down to 20 today. The next doctor who came in said that there is likely to be a lot of fluctuating and they don't get excited until it hovers rather consistently around 100, and that this is yet to be a long treatment program. But it still sounds like good news to us.

Carsyn and I cleaned a bit at her house this morning. She was great with the vacuum and the mop. A good thing for her mom to know. But we were too tired by time we got to mine, so we watered the yard and then took her to Barbara' s to swim while I went to relieve Adrienne. Therefore, mine remains a disaster area. I'm writing to you another night with clutter all around and half-started tasks undone. This has sure realigned priorities. Already if I reread, I can see things that have gone fuzzy as the days and weeks blur together and our fatigue increases. It just seems more important to put this into a written record and to do some spiritual reflection so grace can abound from this whole difficult experience.
And now I'm going to head to my unmade bed.
MJ